Monday, May 17, 2010

Pizza or Focaccia? Crispy Purple Kale, Feta, Red Onion, Black Olive & Garlic on Some Seriously Good Crust (Whatever it Is)


 I seem to be having a hard time naming things lately. Take this dish. Is it a pizza? Is it focaccia? Plain old bread? And if it is pizza, is it Sicilian? Chicago-style? Deep dish? Sigh. I'm not sure.  Maybe I'll call it a fopizza.

Ultimately it doesn't matter I suppose, as it tasted exactly the way I wanted it to - crunchy on the outside, soft and pillow-y on the inside:
Plus, I have become obsessed with baked kale chips lately, and I figured the only way I could make them even better was to plop them on something doughy. I was right!

Making this was an object lesson in the profound effect that weather can have on dough. Apart from my culinary class, where we have a toasty proof box, I hadn't made a yeasted bread since the great Mid-Atlantic Snowpocalypse, and back then, in the middle of winter, I had to wrap my dough in blankets and put it by the heater and wait ... and wait ... and wait for it to finally proof.

Not this time! The yeast were practically jumping for joy in the sticky heat, as you'll see. For my fopizza dough, I used the Sicilian-style recipe at Robbies Recipes, except rather than knead by hand, as I usually do, I used my stand mixer, which took a lot less kneading time than the suggested 15 minutes.  In fact, the gluten developed to the proper stage in about 7 minutes - you can check this by taking a small amount of the dough, gently stretching it out, holding it up to the light and looking for the developed gluten strands. It's called the windowpane test:
If the dough breaks before you can stretch it, it needs more elbow (or mixer) grease. Next, it was time to cover my dough and leave it in a warm place to  double in size - according to the recipe, this should have taken about 90 minutes. Well, in under an hour my dough went from this:
... to this:
Yikes! This caused a bit of panic, as my toppings weren't ready yet and I was afraid my dough was going to over proof and be ruined. So Poppa Trix and I got our hustle on and prepped those toppings lickety-split.  (Luckily I had to let the dough rest for about 10 minutes once I rolled it out, which bought me a bit more time.)

My baking sheet was a tad smaller and more shallow than the one called for in the recipe, but it worked out.  First, I brushed on some olive oil and laid down some fresh garlic:
Next, red onions:
Followed by purple kale, which I very lightly tossed with olive oil:
To finish it off, feta cheese, black olives, and sea salt:
Thirty (or so) minutes later, after baking in a 400 degree oven,  out popped the fopizza of my dreams:
That krispy purple kale combined with the chewy dough, salty olives, sweet red onion,  and briny feta was the perfect bite. Well ... bites.





28 comments:

  1. Double yum, girl. I have never figured out that focaccia/pizza thing either. What's in a name when it looks this good? Most mediterranean cuisines have something like it so... what the heck? Call it trizza or trixxa and start a trend bucking the name game... either way, looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious. I am not quite sure where to begin to sing your praises! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tip on the windowpane - never knew but then I am not the bread maker ....recipe sounds just great with the cheese, what ever you want to call it is fine with me - oh, about pickling something, tomorrow is about green beans ... give that one a try to go with your bloody mary's....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza or focaccia...this just looks very delicious. I would love a big slice :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - LOVE "fopizza!" and am grinning because I just made little pizzas over the weekend. I love feta on pizza, too, but have never tried it with kale - you are brilliant. And I love your combo with the red onion, black olive and garlic. That's a TRIX special, and I'll be inhaling yours, fo' sure :) Your fan always ~ Cleo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Pure yeast heaven! Again, another recipe for my fave tab. I love the photo of your "windowpane" test strip there Ms. Trixie! Okay, on matters of kale chips, ummm, I am not sure about that--how's the crunch factor? But I have kale in the garden, so this might be an avenue worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely delicious, thats what it is!! Perfect for The birthday party buffet! So making it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course it's a pizza. Which is just an adorned foccacia. And does it look DELICIOUS too! I think I'll have to copycat you for dinner tonight! Txk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trix

    This pizza/focaccia/man'ooshe is beautiful!I could eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pizza looks delicious no matter WHAT you call the dough (I think fopizza is great!). Thanks for the info on making the dough - I have never made it myself before and feel inspired to try it. While cooking my way through my cookbook challenge I have to make bread from scratch and am apprehansive about that - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE making my own pizza dough, but I always cheat and use my bread machine. Is that being lazy? oh well. I love how you didn't put a red sauce on this pizza...I always do that by default. I have so much kale, next time I make pizza (this weekend) I'm going to try this combo. Love this, whatever its name is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the use of kale and the topping combination. Fantastic pizza. A++

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that looks amazing! Is it flatbread??? Whatever it is, I'd love a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my my my...this looks really intriguing. We really like kale and this combo looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful ingredients for pizza. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fopizza - faux pizza? - looks real to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very nicely done a whole meal on this dough looks great on my blackberry cant wait to see it on the computer

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dough success indeed! Looks/sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll have to try that crispy kale thing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great whatever you call it. The shape reminds me of the Chef Boyardee pizzas we used to make when I was growing up. I loved those things, but I have a feeling that if I ate one today, I'd be quite disappointed. So you've created a gourmet, grown-up version of my childhood favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great, I love all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've only attempted to make my own pizza dough once and it didn't turn out right. Yours look terrific. And it's a healthy pizza too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh, ,,, I’ve never made a dough, but it is worth a try...This looks very delicious..You seem a wonderful, inventive cook.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, whatever you call it, it looks aboslutely mouthwatering! LOVE the topping combination!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the tip on the windowpane test, this makes it foolproof. You're not the only one totally addicted to kale chips, I love it too! Great idea to use them as pizza toppping!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this looks wonderful! i think it looks more like a pizza, but it certainly looks like it can be called delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmm these look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe, looks quite simple to make.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete