Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chicken, Cabbage, & Cashew Stir Fried Rice

Do you really need me to tell you how to make a simple stir fried rice dish I made for dinner one weeknight?

But what the heck - I'll tell you anyway. After all, as my professional recipe development, food and travel writing, and photography obligations grow (I am neither complaining nor humble-bragging - I unabashedly love it!), I find that I have less and less time to make complicated dishes just for fun. Which is what this blog is supposed to be - fun.

And so I present you with this simple, flavorful, quick - and yes, fun - dish. After all, homemade food doesn't have to be fussy or complicated or time consuming to be worth sharing, right? And who knows - maybe you'll find this particular combination of flavors novel, or inspiring, or just worth a try. At the very least, it's pretty, and that counts for something in my book.
You'll need: day old white rice, onion, garlic, shredded chicken, carrots, red cabbage, Napa cabbage, cashews, and some sliced green onion. I leave it to your discretion to determine how much of these things to use. Get everything chopped and ready to go. Have some whisked eggs standing by as well.

In a wok or deep skillet, saute the onions in some peanut oil. Add everything except the rice and green onions  and cook until hot but still crunchy. Set aside. Add the rice, along with some soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and white pepper, to taste. When the rice is warm, add all the veggies and chicken back in and season with the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil as needed. Meanwhile, get a non stick skillet good and hot, and make scrambled eggs. Chop the eggs up and fold into the fried rice. Serve topped with green onion and if you like, a healthy squirt of Sriracha.

Easy peasy.







10 comments:

  1. I love these colors! Have a red cabbage needing this rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors in this. Also, on the food as well. Wow. :) I have to tell you that some of my favorite blog posts are those that food bloggers do that show off what they eat on 'non post nights'. I understand that we like to create the illusion that we eat creative, fancy meals every night but truth is we don't. Except here you have shown that with some thought, simple, easy meals can have panache. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple is preferred - beautiful colors for such a dreary time of the year. Far better than the bowl of cereal that just made up my dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I love this one!!! I'd have to leave the cashews out for the hubby (and just double mine), but think we'd both be thrilled with this for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually do need you to tell me because I know you'll tell it well. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this easy stir fry. It looks so flavorful. I am a sucker for cashews in food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recipe Trixie! The colors are gorgeous and so it the styling. Going to bookmark this for my busy nights. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fried rice is a terrific way to use up leftover rice and bits of veggies, isn't it? Perfect for a quick weekday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To a large number of us, chicken is minimal more than the non-burger choice on the drive-through menu. best chicken recipes In any case, with the greater part of the simple and flavorful chicken formulas accessible, there is no reason anybody ought to ever need to request poultry in a fast food pail or bun again.

    ReplyDelete